Discrimination is Not Always Obvious or Apparent
Landlords and housing providers cannot deny you housing for discriminatory reasons. If you hear the following statements, it may be a sign of housing discrimination:
- “Are you sure you can afford the rent?”
- “We don’t have these units available for people with disabilities.”
- “The neighborhood isn’t child-friendly.”
- “I already rented the apartment to someone else.”
- “You may be more comfortable in another unit/building.”
Fair Housing Laws Are Not the Same as Landlord-Tenant Laws
Landlord-tenant laws cover general rights and responsibilities of rental tenants and housing providers.
Fair housing laws protect you from discrimination and ensure that you are afforded an equal opportunity to rent the housing of your choice.